Sunday, March 15, 2009

disrespectful attitude

Ok, I hate the way that most of the administration and deans at this school treat the students like they are 12 years old. We are adults and though respect must be earned, disrespect should not be given universally to anyone who has not yet had the opportunity to earn respect. When I was a freshman here I asked the dean to sign a late leave for me because I wanted to go play ROOK with a good friend of mine who lives near by. When it came time for the dean to sign the slip for me he refused. When I asked why he responded, "I don't believe that you are going to your friends house to play rook." Now this was the first time that I had ever even seen this dean in my life, and I had (at that point) never broken any of Southern's rules. However the dean in his superior wisdom deduced that I wanted to go party and get drunk or some such thing, which was a load of crap. So for the first time here at SAU I broke a rule and snuck out TO GO PLAY ROOK at my friends house and spent the night there. That deans condescending attitude led me to break a rule that I had no intention of breaking, whereas if he had treated me as an equal, man to man, I would have gone and played rook, and spent the rest of the night here in the dorm. This is just one of many times that me and friends of mine have been treated in such an infantile way and it is the most dominant reason for me to not come back here next year.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah Southern seems to treat us like we are in a boarding high school. They don't treat us like we are adults even though we legally are at the age to make our own decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well if you're a new freshman, he doesn't know you. he doesn't know what your intentions are, and he can't just trust anyone who comes up to him and says that they're going to play rook and coming back. It's good that you would have done the right thing, but he didn't know you, and not everyone is as virtuous as you were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "he can't just trust anyone who comes up to him and says that they're going to play rook and coming back."

    That is quite literally one of the dumbest assessments I have ever read. This dean, whoever he is, is dealing with 18 year old adults. They are paying an ungodly sum of money who attend an allegedly Christian college.

    If he does not feel he can trust them, then the entire Adventist academy system is a sham.

    ReplyDelete